It can be so frustrating when your printer stops working. There can be many reasons why this problem can arise and if you are new to printers, then you might have to spend hours to troubleshoot the problem. We realize how confusing the process can be and to help you navigate through your HP printer repair process, we have compiled a complete step-by-step guide to help you complete the process easily.
With the help of this HP printer repair guide, we will try to identify the problem and fix it simultaneously with the help of a systematic approach. Follow the steps written below:
1. Check the connections
More often than not, loose connections are the reason why your HP Printer might stop working. So, the first step of this HP printer repair process would be to make sure that all the connections are proper and not loose.
• Disconnect your printer from the power by unplugging the power cord.
• Disconnect your printer cable from your computer in case you are using a wiredHP printer. If you’re using a wireless printer, disconnect your computer and printer from the internet.
• Restart your computer.
• Now disconnect the internet router from the power source and wait for 5 minutes.
• Reconnect the internet router to power and wait for it to restart.
• Connect your computer to the internet.
• Connect HP printer to power and connect it to the computer using the USB cable if you are using a wired HP printer. For wireless printers, first connect the printer to the internet network and then connect it to computer using the “add a device option” in the computer settings.
If you don’t know how to connect your HP wireless printer to your computer then you can check out our detailed HP printer setup guide or you can follow the instructions listed under step 3 of this guide.
2. Make HP Printer your Default Printer
This step is for those of you who have multiple printers connected to your computer. In such a case, you must make your HP printer is your default printer. If you have only ever connected your HP printer to your computer then you can skip this step and move on further in this HP printer repair guide.
• Go to the start menu of your computer and type “Printers” in the type box of your start menu.
• Select and open the “Printers & scanners” window.
• Now you should be able to see your printer’s icon on the screen.
• Right click on this icon and select “Set as default printer” from the menu.
• Click “proceed.”
• You should now see a green tick symbol below the icon of your printer.
You should now try giving your printer a print command. If the issue persists then move on to the next step.
3. Re-connect your printer to the computer
For wired printers, you can simply do this by disconnecting and then re-connecting the USB cable. However, the process is different for wireless printers. To connect wireless printers back to your computer, follow the steps written below:
• Go to the “Network settings” of your HP printer by opening the menu on your printer’s LCD screen.
• Now find the “Wireless settings” option and click on it.
• Now select “Wireless Setup Wizard.”
• Connect your printer to the internet network that your computer is connected to.
• Now open the start menu on your computer.
• Type “Printers” in the type box and select “Printers& scanners.”
• Now select “Add a printer.”
• Click on your printer when you see it in the menu.
Now check if the problem has resolved itself. If you are still confused about how to connect your Wireless HP printer to your computer, then you can navigate to our other HP Printer setup (wireless) guides to find a solution. If the problem persists, move on to the next step of this HP printer repair guide.
4. Re-do the HP printer Setup
If this doesn’t resolve the problem then you must re-do the HP printer Setup process. After you have completed the above three steps of this HP printer repair guide, you must download and run the setup software to install the new and updated printer drivers. To do so, follow the steps written below:
• Open the browser application on your computer.
• Now, go to the official HP website.
• Scroll to the bottom of the home page to find the “Quick Links” section. This should be a grey colored section on the website.
• To download the HP printer setup software, you need to select the “Download Drivers” option.
• Let it re-direct you to another webpage and select “Printers.”
• Now enter the model number of your printer in the type box when the new window opens. Press enter. This should open another window and you should be able to see your model’s name on the webpage.
• Check your operating system and if it is not mentioned correctly then select the “Choose a different OS” option to change the operating system.
• Now select the “HP printer setup and installation” software to expand to menu and select the “download” option.
• Also select the “driver-product installation software” and select the “Download” option.
• Once the software files have been downloaded, run the software files.
• Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the HP printer setup process.
After re-installing all the drivers and completing the HP printer setup process, you should be able to operate your printer easily. Your printer should respond to the print commands that you send from the computer.
If you have followed all the steps mentioned in our HP printer repair guide then you would have been able to troubleshoot the problem. However, in the event that the problem still persists, you can try checking if the hardware is setup properly or try contacting a technician for more help. We hope that this guide helped you.
You can always write to us about any problems that you are facing so that we can provide you with a solution that is applicable to your condition. Don’t hesitate to reach out.